Wednesday, 18 November 2015

WHY I WON'T BE TAKING PART IN BLACK FRIDAY

As you may know, I'm from Scotland. And as you also may know from reading a few posts on here, I'm always skint. The combination of being a mam and a student in this day and age means I don't have much extra cash, and what little I do have goes towards B and treats for the whole family. So really, the idea of one day a year where all the shops have mega sales on right before Christmas should sound like music to my ears, right?

Wrong.

Last year was the first year the UK and its retailers properly joined in on Black Friday, and it was a bloody mess. Pictures surfaced of people fighting in Tesco, videos of normal every day civillians running riot and screaming and shouting over queues in Asda, reports of casualties and old ladies being trampled and people being arrested - over what? Products that had been discounted for ONE DAY that are available all year round. It's insane. The news broadcast a lot of the chaos on Black Friday last year and it's not pretty.

The thing that got me the most was the fact that a lot of the time, you can actually find these products for cheaper throughout the year when retailers run random sales and deals - a bloke in a town near me was arrested for assaulting someone over a £400 telly, and that same telly was on sale in October for £350. We read the article on it and sat in disbelief that people could stoop so low and act so ridiculously for the sake of saving money.

We don't act this crazed when the January sales are on! I've never been at risk of getting lamped in Next on Boxing Day because I've picked up one of the last pair of jeans in a certain size! So why do we lose it when Black Friday comes up? A few recent articles stated that supermarket giant Asda are backing out of participating in Black Friday and I couldn't agree more with them (especially controversial as their American counterpart Walmart is the biggest culprit in inciting Black Friday mania). It's consumerism at its darkest, acting inhumanely for the sake of saving a few quid. I genuinely don't understand it, or why people buy into the mentality that you HAVE to join in and leave your morals at the trolley station. Fair enough, there are probably some cracking deals on, but is there really any need for it?

Adding to this the low pay that people are still having to accept, employees of BF participants will be working extra hours, and putting themselves at risk if this frenzied attitude and dangerous behaviour of consumers keeps up, or even matches the images we see coming from the US around the same time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it baffles me why people would want to participate in an event that just encourages a spending frenzy, just to save some money. Be savvy, save your pennies, and keep an eye out for deals during the rest of the year - those newsletter emails are annoying, but you can keep up to date on any sales or events that will help shave a few pounds off the price. I'd rather do that and stay inside on Black Friday than risk getting trampled for the sake of a discount Nutri Bullet.

What are your thoughts on Black Friday? Would you take part?

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree, I'll be avoiding the shops that day! I wouldn't rule out buying something online if it is something I've been wanting and there's a good discount. But I agree people get carried away because of an event, a bit silly really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'd rather slide down a razor blade encrusted bannister than go out shopping on Black Friday. I think it's one American tradition we can do without. xx

    ReplyDelete

I just love getting feedback from people! I'll always reply. Thankyou for your time <3